Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Creative Corporate Fashion Styles

The women of the 80's popularized the concept of Power Dressing by wearing dark, boxy, and padded suits conveying masculinity rather than femininity.  It was a very different time then when men were just starting to share the corporate boardrooms with the women. Women had to convey a sense of considerable confidence and professionalism in order to gain acceptance and recognition in a landscape dominated long before by men.

Three long decades has passed since its introduction, Power Dressing doesn't necessarily mean women dressing up like men anymore. Women of today can celebrate femininity in the corporate setting by wearing dresses or cropped tops with slim skirts, layered with slick and colorful blazers or jackets that come in a variety of intricate shapes and cuts, made more interesting with scarves, bags, pumps and accessories. Men on the other hand can now wear long sleeved polo shirts, plain or printed, with intricate cuts and patterns, topped with soft relaxed vest, power suit jacket or casual pinstripped jacket, leather belts with emblem buckles, slim fit jeans in subtle colors, a choice between rule-breaking sneakers or casual leather shoes in slick designs. Such fashion statement is categorized as an informal business attire, a less conservative and relaxed version of the conventional business attire.

Power Dressing at Sheka Lifestyle TV Show

Haute Couture

The updated power dressing trend really works for me as I hate wearing formal business attire with the exception of haute couture suits which I wear for runway modeling. I have several sets of smart casual long sleeved polo shirts and french cuff dress shirts, mostly in white color with eye-catching patterns. I wear it with subtle but stylish coated jeans and dashing white leather shoes. In certain occasions that requires me to leave a powerful impression, I layer it with powersuit or casual pinstripped jacket. My fashion statement is a fusion of simple and intricate elements that speak for itself. But just like any business professional, I am obliged to comply with our corporate dress code standards and ours is the formal kind. I must say that I don't enjoy it. Not until recently.

French Cuff Dress layered w/ Powersuit

A simple vest adds just the right pizazz
My training with John Robert Powers equipped me with the right knowledge to implement the core principles of Power Dressing in my daily corporate life. I have quite a number of formal long sleeved polo shirts in a smart selection of colors that complement my skin tone and a good set of ties that goes well with it. My slim fitting pants makes a sexy and tall profile and a formal squared-toe black leather shoes keep things in formal perspective. A black leather belt with square buckle don't just hold my pants in place, it makes for a good accessory as well. For added flair, I make sure that I don't leave home without my two-tone relaxed vest.

The phrase "The suit makes the man" has been ringing since dressing to impress became one of the major concerns of our modern society. In contrast, I believe "The man makes the suit". What you wear doesn't necessarily defines who you are. The things you do and achieve does and with great success and power comes great responsibility to dress the part.

No comments:

Post a Comment