Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Walking towards the "Road To Fame"

It would be a gross understatement to say that fashion plays an integral role in my life. I always have the knack for expressing myself through fashion clothing. For me, clothing is "more than meets the eye". Even though I’ve made a successful career in IT, the thought of pursuing a modeling career constantly played at the back of my mind. I enrolled at John Robert Powers to understand the technical aspect of modeling and it proved to be one of the best decisions I’ve made so far. Juggling IT work and modeling is a tough act but that doesn’t mean that I can’t try, eh?

The Road Map to Fame
February 05, 2011 – I woke up on the wrong side of the bed with a mild case of migraine. On a typical Saturday, I would have slept until noon but it was the casting day for Vans "Off The Wall" fashion show. In an hour, I was commuting down south to drop by at John Robert Powers Alabang for my free "Road To Fame" entry pass courtesy of My Fame And Fortune (John Robert Powers is one of the many global brands to sponsor the event). With a free pass on my clutches, I found myself in the unfamiliar grounds of Festival SuperMall in Filinvest Alabang. 

Vans "Off The Wall" got me going there
The venue was crawling with event volunteers, makeup artists, stylists, photographers, aspiring talents/models, and most importantly the talent/castings agencies. I didn’t realize the magnitude of the event until I saw the list of sponsors. I thought of it as a typical GO SEE event for Vans "Off The Wall" fashion show. Apparently, it was just a part of a bigger event which was the talent and fashion congress itself dubbed as "Road To Fame". I was glad to see some of my co-JRP students among the young and vibrant aspiring models in the queue. I caught up with them for awhile and then went to have a short chat with Marlon John Suarez, a volunteer in charge of the event. While waiting for the Vans casting agents, I decided to join the auditions with the talent/casting agencies around. Getting all the stamps got me smiling but the stamp of approval from Mukha Fashion is kind of special since it’s one of the leading online talent agencies around. After a short pictorial, I left my contact details and I went on with the Vans GO SEE. I did basic catwalk with some spotting and that was it (tough though to keep my equilibrium in check with a migraine). I was bound for the final leg on February 12, 2011 only to get burned by the stressful week at work. Needless to say, I missed it. Tough luck, eh? Well opportunities are abound if you have good networks and that’s what the event is all about - Getting each and everyone connected.

The Event Venue
Most Promising Model took home P20,000
Gift Certificate from John Robert Powers
Now on its third year, "Road To Fame" is the country’s largest job fair for aspiring models and talents, conducted every Saturdays from January 8 to March 12, 2011. The list of brands to sponsor the event includes John Robert Powers, MyPhone, The Philippine Star, Business Mirror, 99.5 RT, Jam 88.3, Wave 89.1, Friendster, ClickTheCity, Netopia, Philippine Fashion Racks, 7 For All Mankind, Mango, Mossimo, Terranova, Calliope, American Rag, Salsa Jeans, Accessorize, Boboli Kids, Elite Cosmetics, Twilight Beauty, Skin Food, Lola Cosmetics, Gloria Jeans. My Fame And Fortune and Road To Fame event organizers did a great job on putting up such event. It was my first time to participate in a fashion congress and I’m looking forward on next year’s upcoming event. For more of Philippine fashion trends, checkout http://www.philippinefashionracks.com/. To know more about modeling, sign up at http://www.myfameandfortune.com/. For comprehensive modeling trainings, visit http://www.johnrobertpowers.com/.

(Photos from Road To Fame & My Fame And Fortune)

No comments:

Post a Comment